Hilton Head Island
Hilton Head Island is the 2nd largest barrier island on the East Coast. It is located
on the southeastern part of South Carolina in Beaufort County. It is approximately
12 miles long and 5 miles wide. It is 20 miles north of Savannah, Georgia and about
95 miles south of Charleston, South Carolina.
In 1663, Captain William Hilton named The Island after himself on an exploration
for King Charles II. He was on Hilton Head Island for several days and made notes
of our trees, crops and "sweet air". The beginning of Hilton Head as a world class
resort, golf destination and retirement community started in 1956 when Charles Fraser
developed Sea Pines Plantation Resort.
Hilton Head Island is now a popular family tourism destination year round. The classic
red and white lighthouse in Harbour Town is considered one of America's most famous
landmarks. With an eclectic mix of shops & boutiques, restaurants and activities,
families have been making this island their vacation spot for generations.
For more information on Hilton Head Island,